A Trip to Cielo Drive





Last November was my first trip to California and taking that extra step to actually find Cielo Drive was definitely worth the it. It was a Sunday morning, I woke up in my hotel room early, around five I recall and got myself a cup of coffee. I was staying in downtown L. A. so my drive to Bel Air was just a quick drive west. Obviously since I'd have never been to Los Angeles before, driving through Bel Air during such an early hour fascinated me to see enormous homes one after another, surrounded by a fog that started last night. Benedict Canyon. A neighborhood to the stars but also the place of one of the most horrific murders of the twentieth century. I knew Cielo Drive had to be close. Then I saw this tiny, very narrow,  drive way at the foot of what looked to me as a mountain. Making a left up the road I could see the fog was getting heavier as I drove higher up the hill. As I drove, I found on my left side what appeared to be luxury flats or condos. Cars parked in front of them but no people around. There was nothing on my right I can remember, except the drive way was getting extremely steep as I approached the top. Then what I saw in books and on television was right in front of me.
The heavy wooden gate, closed and locked was the entrance to location of Abigail's murder and her friends Votek, Jay, and Sharon. I knew I didn't have much time because I did spot a no trespassing sign (although I can't remember where exactly it was posted). The entrance also had two brick columns on each side with lights still illuminated.
The change of address was now 10066. I read it was to discourage people. I hopped out my rental, engine still running, and grabbed my camera. On the left side of the entrance was the intercom where one of the killers left a bloody finger print. The first pictures I took were that of the gate. Initially I thought the pics of the gate were good but it was only afterwards I discovered the fog made them murky, almost as if the lens was wet. At the same time it gave them a haunted look which in this case seemed fitting. The last photo that was taken was that of the driveway. I was tall enough to peer over the gate to see the driveway where Steven Parent was shot in his Rambler.
I reached my arm through an opening at the top of the gate and snapped one shot. I had what I came for and was more than satisfied. This was a place I always wanted to visit because even though it was unbelievably tragic what happened here, to finally see it was in a way, a salute to Abigail. Not just her but all the victims. 

No comments:

Post a Comment